Thursday 8 December 2011

The competition's hotting up

News about next year’s Olympics is coming in thick and fast these days. The TV was jam packed with Olympics ads, and this has been tempered only by the arrival of Christmas. I expect January to burst off the blocks with more of these fancy ads. It seems every athlete has been signed up by big sponsors to push their brand. Is there anyone not sponsoring Jess Ennis?! I just hope the ads become a little more diverse. At the moment, they just make me feel guilty for not exercising more. I want those sculpted arms, but even more so, I want a ticket to see an actual event.

We’ve had a run on ticket competitions of late – particularly galling was the competition on The Sun’s website. You had to pay £3.50 to enter to win. I wonder if this money is going back into the Games? With News International behind them, I doubt it. But they’re not the only ones. LloydsTSB, First Direct, Visa and Proctor & Gamble (Fairy, Flash & Lenor etc) have already been giving away top tickets. This feels like short change for Londoners whose tax is subsidising the Games. But if there’s one thing we’ve learned by now, it’s that money and sport go hand in hand. And that’s probably why I don’t have tickets…

No comments:

Post a Comment